Silkie Chick vs Other Breeds Maturing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilMissChz, Apr 11, 2012.

1. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I have a variety of six different chicks, all three weeks old. I have cochin bantam, black bantam, rir & barred rock and of course my silkie. Silkie, aka Peanut is just a baby. I don't mean that figuratively, as she is only 3 weeks old. I mean this literally. She is taking longer to feather. She doesn't engage in chicken "challenge" behavior and tends to ignore this posturing by the other birds. She just is more babyish than the other birds.

Do silkies take longer to mature than other breeds? To me it seems obvious, but I would love to know that I don't have some rogue bird doing something unusual.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Remember Silkies don't have the true feathers, it's just fluffy like feathers. Here's a picture of an adult one (copy and pasted)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I have two 5 week old silkies right now (first time silky owner also) and they do seem much more laid back than the other babies. They don't display any dominant behavior and just kinda ignore everyone else.

[​IMG]

BTW, are yours loud? Mine talk to themselves constantly :hmm

4. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Yes! That's the other thing she does... PEEPS constantly! I really have quite an attachment to Peanut because of how completely sweet, docile and easy to handle she is. Of course I say "she" but I have no real idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by