SILKIE CHICK WITH 'BAD' LEG, HELP! *with pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kysilkies, Aug 16, 2010.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We have a 2 day old baby that won't stand on it's left leg, he hops around on the right one and uses his wittle wing to support him when he can...We don't know what to do and can't tell where the injury is...He doesn't cry out or react when we touch it but it's not right and we're very sad over it...

[​IMG]

2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I don't know what it is, but what an adorable little chick! I hope she ends up being ok. [​IMG]

3. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    This chick looks like she's going to have a bum leg her whole life, what can we do?...She gets around hobbling on the one good one but I think she's in pain at times and it's killing us...Any suggestions?

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Just make sure she can access food and water, and isn't getting completely knocked out of the way by the others. My silkie had a bad leg and I seperated her from the "thundering herd" and supplimented her feed with cooked egg yolk/plain yogurt/electrolytes (when I "rescued" her from the feed store she was laying dying in the food bin...so she had a bad leg and already a day or two without care). I got her to take little globs of the special food from the tip of a toothpick. A month+ later she is using the leg and back with pack! Don't give up - check her crop and make sure she is getting food and water- and warmth - they can be surprisingly resilient little guys. Good luck!

5. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    She's almost a month old and eats and drinks with no issues, it's just the hobble to and from it...SHe does get a little beat up, but only a little...We may have to consider separating her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by