silkie chick with bad leg please help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bald k9, Sep 27, 2010.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello I have 6 silkies and since day one ,one of them has always walked with one leg high steppin, so as it grew i kept an eye on it , looked to make sure nothing was there and nothing was rthere, so this morn when i came home to let them out i noticed this one silkie in the coop by itself when i picked it up the l;eg just hung down, there was a dried blood on the leg so i took it inside to a warm bath in a bowl, and got the dried blood off and when i lookeked close it looks like a pin hole, kind of like a feather got pulled out at the root, but she cant seem to move the leg, she has to lift high on the other leg to get the hurt leg to go forward,so now i have her inside with me, she doesnt appear to be in pain, but she just stands there, making no noise til i go to pick her up,her eyes are clear and she has a full crop but she isnt moving,she is just standing there, could it be a spider bite or something or is this normal in chickens, I already lost two other silkie chickls when a branch fell on the coop during a storm, so i dont want to loose this one ,any ideas????

2. bald k9

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    anyone?

3. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Could you post a pic?

4. bald k9

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    yes i will hold on a second be right back

5. bald k9

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    stupid camera ,i cant get it to work , but it looks like just one feather got pulled out , i will try again to take a pic , any i deas?

6. franklinstreetwest

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    and she wont use her leg at all? feathers leave a hole when they get pulled out...does that look overly swollen or infected?

7. franklinstreetwest

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Just thinking out loud here.....if a feather got pulled and it's a result of some pickle she got into, perhaps she injured her leg in a way that sprained, strained, broke, bruised.....etc..? I would bring her in so you can observe her and keep an eye on that leg.....if it is dangling freely, like "dead limp" consult a vet right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by