silkie chick with broken leg!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joe17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have a porcelain silkie chick that is about a month old that has a broken leg. It cant use it at all and cant even hop. I think it is broken at hip. I will try to post a pic tomorrow. I have it in a bucket full of hay so it can stay stable. I will give it poly vi sol and boiled eggs in the morning. It doesnt chirp loudly like it is in pain either. How do I make a cast? What position should the leg be in when I splint it? I think I will use gauze, medical tape, and medical wrap. Should I give it aspiran? If so, how much?? Help!

2. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    When I picked it up, it kept pooping and pooping. It had a bunch of poo on it butt when I found it. I just shaved her bottom to help with that too.

3. cristina33

cristina33 Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    i dont have any answers for you but i hope someone can help you

4. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chirping

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    i have a chicken with a broken leg too. it wasnt high up so we put a splint on it. if its at the thigh maybe try some cloth wraped around the thigh? idk im a newbie at chicken injuries/diseases sorry i cant help much good luck with ur chick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by