silkie chick with curled toes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by deborah the silkie, Apr 15, 2009.

1. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    Ok all you fabulous silkie people out there. So my hen hatched some silkie eggs for me, i have collected three chicks so far and have them in the brooder. My question is on one chick in particular i believe he is a buff, but he has curled toes and feet. What is this? Will it correct with age? He is a real fighter, already eating and drinking on his own before the others. Any advice would be great, i hope culling isnt the solution, i love him already.

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

you need to fashion a boot for him. take a piece of regular tape and put it on the bottom side of his foot sticky side up so it sticks to his toesies. Spread out the toes like it looks when a normal chick is standing. then put tape on the topside, sticky side down. I usually trim the outside edges off so he can walk sort of like a duck foot. I know he is feathered feet but he will be ok. leave that on for a couple days and then remove gently, he should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    That is absolutely fascinating....I will try my best thanks so much. So what causes this in little chooks?

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    By the way, that is Silkie Fancy Pant's little babies!!! Yay!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by