Silkie chick with deformed toes?

Sustained

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Oregon
I have a newly hatched silkie chick that's having some trouble walking. She can but she's very clumsy and actually rolls backwards if she gets unbalanced by walking over a tiny bump. She mostly walks on her entire legs, doesn't stand up if that makes sense? I noticed that her outer side toes are so small that you can't see them through her leg/foot fluff. That seems to be what's causing her balance to be really off. Anyone else experience this? My chickens are pets first, egg providers second so I don't mind babying her. I'm just worried about quality of life. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh and I tried to take a pic but my phone camera is refusing to adjust the pic from being so fuzzy you can't see much
1f620.png

It's the best I could do. Both feet are the same. Even the inner toe is fairly small. At least compared to the other silkie chick I have

If I need to try for more pics I will. It just might take me a bit between fighting my camera, tripping over kids, and a little fuzzball that's not thrilled with having her feet photographed lol

I dont think anyone could do much about that deformity. Just watch her. Make sure she doesn't fall on something hard. Do you use newspaper as substrate? Maybe use something softer if you do use newspaper.

I decided for the first 5 days to use some old cloth napkins instead of shavings or newspaper. I read that a lot of people use paper towels at first. I've been keeping an eye on her because she falls over so easily if the ground isn't even.

Back
Top Bottom