Silkie Chick with Folded in Toes

nmr

Songster
Mar 12, 2020
Metro West Massachusetts
I'll post a picture when I get home, but I just noticed one of my 10 day old silkie chicks has a toe that is folded sideways under his foot (imagine your thumb bent towards your palm). I tried to wiggle it a little to see if it would move, I'm 100% confident that it will, but I wanted to see what others thought and if I should try to move the toe out and put a piece of cardboard under the chick's foot to hopefully correct the toe.

The chick seems to get around with no issues which is why I hadn't noticed it, we had a different chick with splayed legs that I was able to correct.

Again, I'll post a picture in a couple hours.

Thanks!

My chick had the same problem... We made a cardboard shoe and left it on for a week, after that, I gave her lots of foot massages to stretch those toes: now she is perfectly fine!!!

CARDBOARD SHOE:
·cut a piece of cardboard or card in an oval the size of the baby's foot
·Stretch out the foot on top of the card(board) and fasten the toes on with a band-aid or tape.
·Now you have a stylish shoe for your chick, leave it on until it falls off or corrects itself- or no longer fits.

IMG-20210314-WA0012.jpg

My chick blue

My chick had the same problem... We made a cardboard shoe and left it on for a week, after that, I gave her lots of foot massages to stretch those toes: now she is perfectly fine!!!

CARDBOARD SHOE:
·cut a piece of cardboard or card in an oval the size of the baby's foot
·Stretch out the foot on top of the card(board) and fasten the toes on with a band-aid or tape.
·Now you have a stylish shoe for your chick, leave it on until it falls off or corrects itself- or no longer fits.

View attachment 2601929
My chick blue
Excellent, I'll give it a try. I'm mostly worried about hurting the chick or accidentally breaking its toe or something.

Back
Top Bottom