Silkie chick with head at an angle

SilkieBrush

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
As I was changing my chicks feed and water I noticed my 10 day old silkie chick had an offset head and was running around with its head at an angle. Initially i believed he was looking at something in the ceiling but I observed him for a few minutes and his head was still looking up. At the moment he seems completely fine and is running around the coop with his brothers. Should I be worried? 795ACBCA-3724-493D-8FAC-5097DFF92819.jpeg
3570839F-BAD7-438B-BB62-AD49B51F8F45.jpeg
D6737628-C821-4D6B-A973-AD75F304E0DB.jpeg

Looks like it might be early wry neck. This is usually treatable with vitamin E and vitamin B supplementation. I do not know the exact dosages. @Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive may be able to help you. You can also try reposting under the emergency section. Do you know if these chicks were vaccinated for Marek’s disease? Could be early Marek’s as well.

Looks like it might be early wry neck. This is usually treatable with vitamin E and vitamin B supplementation. I do not know the exact dosages. @Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive may be able to help you. You can also try reposting under the emergency section. Do you know if these chicks were vaccinated for Marek’s disease? Could be early Marek’s as well.
Thanks for replying. From what im aware of none of my chickens have been vaccinated. How can I know if its Marek’s, and what can I do to prevent it from spreading appart from vaccination in the meantime?

Thanks for replying. From what im aware of none of my chickens have been vaccinated. How can I know if its Marek’s, and what can I do to prevent it from spreading appart from vaccination in the meantime?
Unfortunately chicks have to be vaccinated at hatch or shortly after. Before they are exposed to other chickens and being outside. Mareks is found everywhere. It is spread by dander from infected chickens/wild birds. Best bet is to go ahead and treat for Wry neck which it does look like at this time.

Unfortunately chicks have to be vaccinated at hatch or shortly after. Before they are exposed to other chickens and being outside. Mareks is found everywhere. It is spread by dander from infected chickens/wild birds. Best bet is to go ahead and treat for Wry neck which it does look like at this time.
Thanks for the information.

Mareks does not show up this early in life, so it is not Mareks. It is wry neck (torticolis,) and can be a neurological symptom of a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, a head or neck injury, or it could be hereditary. I would give the contents of a 400 IU vitamin E softgel, orally along with a little thiamine which is found in human B complex and in most chick vitamins.

Mareks does not show up this early in life, so it is not Mareks. It is wry neck (torticolis,) and can be a neurological symptom of a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, a head or neck injury, or it could be hereditary. I would give the contents of a 400 IU vitamin E softgel, orally along with a little thiamine which is found in human B complex and in most chick vitamins.
Thank you ill give it to him as soon as possible

Back
Top Bottom