silkie chick with head hanging down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chasehope, Apr 17, 2007.

1. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I have a silkie chick who is about 8 weeks old, who was fine yesterday and this morning when I went out to check on everybody he(it) was laying down with its head tucked to its chest underneath of it. He was drinking this morning, and my husband said that he saw him eating this evening(crop feels empty). He is able to walk, although seems hesitant to do so, when he does, he tucks his chin to his throat. He has been eating non-medicated chick starter (16%) and grit. He has fresh water all the time. He is in with chicks the same size as him and they are all fine, so I thought maybe an injury? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmm, maybe he got cold? I would take him out of there...and get him in a warm place....like a box in the house. Mayeb get him some vitamins...and hope for the best. Good luck...I hope he recovers!!

3. chasehope

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    they are in a 4'X4' enclosure in our heated garage and then they have a heat light that is plenty warm. Ao I know he wasn't cold. He sits under the heat light quite a bit. I will definately get some vitamins in him.

4. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Hope your little chickie is ok! I just lost one the other day. He was a Lakenvelder and I don't think he was real strong to begin with.
    Good luck with the little feller.

5. chasehope

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    so far so good, he is still hanging his head, but he is eating and drinking and more sctive today, so we will just see what happens.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by