Silkie Chick with suspected broken leg... any advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suzie, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have a Silkie chick with what I suspect is a broken leg - it is limping really badly and was ok two days ago, I think that it's Mum jumped from her perch onto it - she is clumsy at the best of times!

I have looked intensively at the legs and it appears to have "spraddle leg" symptoms BUT it is almost two months old now so that is not the cause... I can suspend it in a chair ( as advised by one of you here - ages ago..) as I did to help my special needs chick Kenny ( who died alas), is there anything else anyone can recommend to help.... ? I am prepared to do anything I can... sadly there are no Vet's here in France that would entertain helping a chick.... my chicks and chickens are so very important to me and I can't bear to think that the chick is suffering with pain...do I euthanase or is there any hope that anyone here can offer me some help to get my baby back to full health?

The chick eats, drinks and gets around well with it's Sister's and Brother's but it is so sad for me to see it this way when it was so healthy before - the foot seems ok, the damage is further up the leg as far as I can ascertain... maybe the hip ( or whatever else it is called in a chick )

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Suzie
    [​IMG]

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Is she getting around at all? I've had some that have sprained a leg and limped around for a week or so.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    The chick is active, it gets around well despite it's injury - it is just so sad for me to see it like this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by