1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Chicken Died so Fast- What Caused the Death? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenlover400, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Chickenlover400

Chickenlover400 New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    We had a beautiful white silkie pullet. She was almost 5 months old and had just won a blue ribbon at the county fair. I was so proud of her and I loved that chicken. Yesterday I noticed that she was really lethargic and her head drooped down towards the ground. I didn't think anything of it until just a few hours ago. I picked her up and she started puking up a watery substance. She wouldn't stop puking and hacking. I looked on the internet and I was pretty sure she had sour crop. I then tipped her upside down and rubbed her crop until she began puking up a yellow bile. I know that you aren't supposed to leave the chicken upside down for more than 15 seconds, but she wouldn't stop puking and if I turned her right-side up, she would stop puking, but continue hacking and it seemed like she was choking. This continued for about 10 minutes, until she stretched her neck out, desperately hacking, flapped her wings, and just died! It was so sad and I would like to know why she died- if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My guess would be she aspirated on her vomit(fluid in her lungs).

3. Chickenlover400

Chickenlover400 New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Ok- thank you for the reply- she will be missed :(

4. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It is very difficult when a beloved pet dies,and this must have been extremely traumatic,but you did try to save her. She knew she was loved,i know this does not help,but unfortunately with chickens so many issues can arise at any given time and all we can do is our best. My condolences to you.

5. Chickenlover400

Chickenlover400 New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Thanks- that makes me feel so much better :)

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Welcome,i have have a couple of white silkie pullets about 5 months also,they are such baby girls,adorable little fluff balls,i understand how you are feeling.

7. Chickenlover400

Chickenlover400 New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Yes- they are one of my favorite breeds :) hopefully yours stay healthy for a long time :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by