Silkie/Chicken experts... HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiechick05, Oct 11, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I have some four week old silkie chicks who hate to be handled. i get them out once a day and let them run around and sit in my lap and pet them under a towel. however, if they know i am petting them, they will just run away. i plan to show them, and need to be able to handle them easily. so far, i am not having any luck with getting them to like me. they wont eat out of my hand, and when i go to get them out, they run in circles to avoid me.

so should i get them out one at a time and handle them away from the others?

are they still too young?

how much handling is too much?

thanks so much

I THOUGHT THEY WERE CALM AND NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I had the same problem. My chicks hated me! I had 9 silkies and a cochin bantam. I was afraid to handle them because they would freak out so I didn't too much.

When they were about 2 weeks old though I started to feed them yogurt. They got addicted to it. Then I would only feed them yogurt if they hopped up on my hand and came into my lap. They were still unfriendly at that age for the most part.

Even at 5 weeks they weren't very friendly..
    But soon they got older and older and more and more would hop in my lap.

They are now in their big chicken coop and they run to me when I come outside. I can pick some of them up and hug them. They are still getting more and more friendly every day. When they were little I thought they would hate me forever but I now think they love me. [​IMG]

Hang in there they will come around. I think they are very skittish when little. Try some yogurt and treats!

BYC saying: "Treats are the way to a chicken's heart!"

3. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    My birds always calm down when I GENTLY rub their crops/chest area. Kind of just like you do a dog. It seems to be a 'sweet spot".

4. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    okay i will try that rubbing of the chicks.

today i tried feeding carrots from my hands and they ate it after awhile...

i will definitely try the yogurt too!

any other advice!?

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The best way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach. Treats...

6. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Its probably a good idea to hold them individually so they can get to know you. I think they sometimes feed off each others anxiety

7. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Okay i will do that.

they just peep and cheep whenever they are away from each other.

how long do you recommend me handle them at a time?

8. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    My little guys like small bits of (frozed/defrosted) corn, too. Offer them grit (I use parakeet grit) if you give them anything but their regular crumbles and yogurt, though. I think chicks are kind of like my young reptiles, very skittish when young. As they grow a bit and get more confidence, they mellow out nicely. I only handle mine for a moment or two maybe 2-3 times daily. I am afraid any more than that may add to the stress and make it worse. They will come around in time. Practice your deep breathing, too. They relax faster if you're relaxed. (I have been know to doze off in front of the t.v. with various young animals. Seems to help.)

9. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    where do you get grit??

oh and oyster shells??

10. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    At your local feed mill I would think they would have some. I don't know about oyster shells. I'd like to know the answer to that one too. But my guess would be at a local feed mill amongst the chicken supplies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by