Silkie chicken has a leg thats stopped working!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Samuel67, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Samuel67

Samuel67 New Egg

Aug 1, 2014
    Northampton uk
    Hi, I really hope someone can help. I have a young silkie cockerel, about 7 or 8 months old. About 2 weeks ago now he started to try not to walk on one leg, and was kind of hopping. It's got worse and he started to just drag it behind him, but seemed otherwise fine, eating, getting out and about but with the leg hanging behind. I tried to find a vet but none would see a chicken. I finally found one that would but said he knew nothing about chickens. He said he didn't think it was broken, and squeezed the foot and leg really hard and the chicken didn't seem to feel it so the vet said he didn't know what to suggest and to kill it. I really don't want to do that as he is very good natured and only young, and otherwise seems fine, looks good, is eating etc, although the last two days he hasn't been able to get up and out of the coop without falling over. It's a bit like the bad leg is getting in the way more now and he topples over when he tries to get up. Any ideas of what I can do to help him, I'm stuck as the vet said it wasn't broken so no point putting a splint on it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance, sam

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that the leg is paralyzed by Mareks disease or an injury that has affected the nerve in the leg. There are also some various leg deformities that get worse with age, but this sounds more neurological. I would make sure that he is close to his food and water, and give him poultry vitamins daily.

3. MaggieP

MaggieP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Are the toes curling?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by