Silkie Chicken in Bad Weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lilhippiemomma, Sep 10, 2012.

1. lilhippiemomma

lilhippiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    Hey!

I rescued a Silkie rooster earlier this year and now I am his willing slave. He's the sweetest little guy! Anyhow, I've heard about how Silkies have trouble getting wet because their feathers won't insulate them. I've searched the internet, but I haven't really found any advice on how to deal with this. I'm worried about what will happen to him once winter comes. It can get pretty cold here in Kentucky! Does anyone know how Silkies deal with snow, or really cold temperatures? He's my only Silkie and I tend to keep him seperate from the normal sized girls because most of them are afraid of him and one of them has decided that he is her arch-nemesis that must be destroyed.

That said, if there is no other solution, I WILL bring this bird in the house. He already sleeps on the porch, after all. I'm just wondering if there's going to be a problem with him running around in the snow or if I need to buy him a sweater or something. Is there anything specific I need to look out for? Are there any other solutions rather than smuggling him in with the Christmas tree?

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Im also in ky.I have quite a few silkies and have had no problems during the winter.Their top knots are always wet and i worry they will get sick but they never have.I also have a mixed flock so my silkies are in with big birds.Again ive had no problems.Enjoy your silkie,they are adorable and are great pets...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by