Silkie chicken sick

agnewcoop

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2016
Missouri
I have a small flock of 6 month old chickens (these are my 1st chickens).
My Silkie was laying in a ball in the coop floor this morning, he was extremely limp when I picked him up, he will lay on his back on my lap and close his eyes.
I have checked him for injuries and find nothing. He keeps putting his eggs between his front legs and just stays like that.
I keep picking his head up and dipping his beak and he will drink water. Has not ate or pooped all day.
We have two vets that will see chickens but can't go until tomorrow.
Help please!

Last edited:
Has it been very hot where you live, or could he have been kept from drinking and eating? Does he have any diarrhea or blood in his droppings? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? How does his crop feel--full, hard, puffy, or empty? Can you try feeding his bits of chopped egg, tuna, and add some yogurt and water to his feed. Add some SaveAChick or electrolytes and vitamins to his feed. Check his skin for signs of lice or mites. I hope that he makes it so that you can take him to the vet.

It is hot here but I have a fan going, window open and fresh water every day.
Have not been vaccinated and crop is good.
Skin is clear.
After doing tons of research it seems to match wry neck symptoms.
I went ahead and started polyvisol and vitamin e, electrolyte in water. I am having to hold its head to drink and I got it to eat some bites of yogurt. I brought it in the house to stay cool and quiet, isn't any better but isn't worse so hopefully will be good until I can call the vet in the am.
Thanks for the reply!

UPDATE
I started giving polyvisol and vitamin e per the vets suggestion last night and making him eat and drink every hour. He will take about 3 sips each of the vitamin mixture the water with antibiotic I'm it and tiny bite of food. I have to hold his head up while doing this.
He stood up a couple times today but most of the day just slept with his head drooped between his chest.
I have been feeding Greek yogurt in addition to tiny bites of mushy chicken food.
Right after I fed him this time he pooped out runny very white liquid. Is this just from the yogurt or can this help determine what may be wrong?

White in the droppings is urates, or the equivalent of kidney waste. Feeding him often and the vitamins and electrolytes will help. if you have electrolytes with vitamins, giving Polyvisol may be too much vitamins. Let us know how he progresses. Try feeding him a little raw or soft cooked egg. It contains selenium which helps with vitamin E utilization. Wry neck is more of a neck spasm, called torticolis. Is his neck limp? Can you post any pictures of him? Here is a good article to read:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Does he move his legs or wings? Botulism is a disease which causes paralysis of the legs, wings, and the neck from eating a toxin found in decaying animal or fish carcasses, maggot, or vegetable matter that has been underground or under water.

Let us know how he is getting along.

I can't get a pic bc he is all black and so fuzzy, you literally can't tell his head from his butt in a picture when he is in the position that he is in:)
I tried feeding him scrambled eggs but he wouldn't eat, I will try again today.
His wings and legs are fine, he can straighten his neck and hold his head up but only for a little bit then he tucks his legs under his chest and moves his head side to side several times then lays down and goes to sleep.
Last night he literally did a complete flip when he tucked his head.

You can post a YouTube video and either post a link or insert it in the reply box that looks like film. Flipping over does sound more like wry neck. When I want to give a sick bird nutrition, I mix a raw egg, a small amount of plain yogurt, some feed, and add water to make it soupy. It whips up into a nice mixture.Most chickens will eat small bits of tuna, hamburger, and liver which all contain vitamins and minerals. Silkies sometimes have a vaulted skull which may be more easily injured. Other problems which affect the brain can cause wry neck symptoms as well. I hope he starts recovering. Here is a video about feeding a chicken with wry neck to watch:

We had a black silkie (frizzle) with wry neck, unfortunately the only girl out of the 5 we got lol. So vit e capsule (snip the end and squeeze the liquid out), with 1/2 crushed selenium tablet (the mineral binds to the the vitamin so it is absorbed much better) and kids poly-visol liquid vitamin without iron. This always perked her right up within a few hours. When we missed giving it to her on a monthly basis she did relapse so on the first of every month we gave a dose when we did all our other monthly coop care. I can check the dosage if you need. Also, our go to sick bird mix is a real keeper. Beef cat food 2 tbs (beef is one of the highest in protein), plain yougurt 1 tsp, applesauce 1 tsp (if they can eat well alone chopped apple with peel is good), 1/2 cooked egg yolk, and a dash of honey (natural anti-inflammatory) and a splash of unfiltered apple cider vinegar (natural antibiotic and all around great chicken fixer). Keep it in the fridge and dispose of every 24 hrs. Don't give scratch for a couple days its just chicken candy lol, but meal worms are a good high protein treat, plenty of clean water and regular food. If your chicken isn't drinking then give it water every few hours with a dropper or syringe with the needle removed. I try to keep all these things handy now just in case someone gets sick along with the other chicken necessities of prep h and antibiotic ointment without any pain killers (anything ending in -caine can be deadly for chickens). Sorry if this sounded preachy or too detailed, I know most know more than me but if not detailed someone may need more details in future. I hope this helps and good luck, keep us posted please.

I was thinking this morning that I was almost ready to put Him down bc he didn't want any food or water and then a little bit ago he started walking around his crate so I told him outside and he is acting so much better, walking around and took a bite of food and nibbling at the grass. He still tucks his head some but much less so I will continue to baby him and give vitamins but hopefully he is on the mend! :)

Back
Top Bottom