Silkie Chicken swollen face

Katedungan

Hatching
Jun 29, 2017
Hi there I have a year old black silkie who is in great health. She lives in a clean coop with 3 other chickens and they roam around in our backyard (small/enclosed) during the day. This week I noticed her face which is usually black turning white. And today its swollen and her eyes are swollen. She is in perfect health otherwise. Running around, eating and drinking. Her coop is clean, theres no weird plants. Could she be sunburned? does that happen? lol. Should I take her to the vet? Its a little flaky too.

Attachments

• IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 58
How does the inside of her mouth look?
compare it to your other girls.
See if anything looks off/swollen.

Silkies are sometimes hard for me to tell much about because of the grey skin. Favus, a fungal infection of the skin can cause a white powdery-looking condition. Antifungal creams, such as Monistat 7 (miconazole) or Lotrimin (generic available is clotrimazole) are used daily with a rubber glove on the skin to treat favus. But she may have dry skin, and coconut oil could be tried instead. I would look her over for mites. The puffy eyes can sometimes be from a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, but if you are not seeing any other respiratory symptoms, then I would look at an insect, tick, or spider bite as a possibility. Below are some photos of silkies with favus:

Favus_OscarComb.jpg
ebabasyj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom