Silkie chicken that a breeder shipped to me is sick what should i do

makaylaL

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
I got a silkie that was shipped to me that I payed a lot of money for and she is coughing and sneezing really bad and I don't want the rest of my flock to get it, what should i do?

When did you get the bird? How far did it travel? Did it come with any health guarantee or certification? Did it arrive sick? Are you doing a proper quarantine (at least 100' from the rest of the flock, feeding and caring for established flock first, changing shoes - at the very least and ideally all clothes between caring for the flock and the quarantined bird - and not sharing any equipment between sick bird and flock)? Have you contacted the seller?

Do not put it any where near your birds. I am not a big quarantine believer in a small backyard flock, but really a sick bird is a different deal. In fact, I would want to keep the bird at someone else's house if I could arrange it. They are not a kidding about changing clothes and shoes. It can be very difficult to keep a flock healthy with a sick bird near by.

Contact the original owner, but you may be out. Maybe the bird will get better, but do not put it with your birds until it has been well for over two weeks, and really I think I would wait a month.

Do not put it any where near your birds. I am not a big quarantine believer in a small backyard flock, but really a sick bird is a different deal. In fact, I would want to keep the bird at someone else's house if I could arrange it. They are not a kidding about changing clothes and shoes. It can be very difficult to keep a flock healthy with a sick bird near by.

Contact the original owner, but you may be out. Maybe the bird will get better, but do not put it with your birds until it has been well for over two weeks, and really I think I would wait a month.
I forgot mentioning to wait a month. I don't quarantine either, but I seldom bring in outside birds, and would never bring a sick one home. I know OP didn't see the bird before it was shipped, so they have no way of knowing if it was sick when shipped or not. OP, I agree with Mrs. K - if you can keep it somewhere else, do so. I also don't take chickens to the vet, but it might be an idea if you want to find out what this bird has. If it's something contagious, I'd put it down rather than risk my whole flock.

Ok im taking her to vet tommarrow to see what she has and if its cantagious ill have her put down

Back
Top Bottom