1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie chicken wanted in Canada

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by K7S10, May 8, 2008.

1. K7S10

K7S10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Looking for a female silkie chicken. I'm in Ontario.

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Just thought I'd bump this up for a fellow Ontarian:>)
    I don't know where in Ontario you are but there is a bird Auction in Powassin May 24, and there are usually silkie chicks there, not sure about adults. People really seem to hold onto their hens...I am looking for a couple too. Will let you know if I find anything.

3. K7S10

K7S10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    I'm in the Niagara area. Does anyone ship live birds? I'll be posting a wanted ad at the local feed store. Maybe I'll get something there.
    I'm looking for a silkie as a brooder, since I hear they're supposed to be good as brooders. If there's another breed that is a good brooder that's of interest too.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Most of the bantams are pretty good brooders...in the Niagra area you should have no trouble finding various broody type breeds.
    Here's a link to a great chart that lists all the breeds (both standard and bantam) and whether they will brood or not. Cochins are a really good brooder, and you don't have to build another pen for them because they are the same size as the rest of your flock. I found that if my silkies were in with the flock the standard roosters really take advantage of them...
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by