Silkie chicken wanted in Canada

K7S10

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Looking for a female silkie chicken. I'm in Ontario.

Just thought I'd bump this up for a fellow Ontarian:>)
I don't know where in Ontario you are but there is a bird Auction in Powassin May 24, and there are usually silkie chicks there, not sure about adults. People really seem to hold onto their hens...I am looking for a couple too. Will let you know if I find anything.

I'm in the Niagara area. Does anyone ship live birds? I'll be posting a wanted ad at the local feed store. Maybe I'll get something there.
I'm looking for a silkie as a brooder, since I hear they're supposed to be good as brooders. If there's another breed that is a good brooder that's of interest too.

Most of the bantams are pretty good brooders...in the Niagra area you should have no trouble finding various broody type breeds.
Here's a link to a great chart that lists all the breeds (both standard and bantam) and whether they will brood or not. Cochins are a really good brooder, and you don't have to build another pen for them because they are the same size as the rest of your flock. I found that if my silkies were in with the flock the standard roosters really take advantage of them...
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Back
Top Bottom