Silkie chicken wound w maggots

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jpefein, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jpefein

jpefein Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    White Plains NY
    Hello All, I have silkies. One had a lot of flys around her bum. I cleaned her and she was fine. Two days later I again noticed flys and poop stuck to her, and now she was limping. I cleaned her but this time there was a large open flesh wound. I flushed with saline and noticed maggots. I kept flushing with water, saline, peroxide and iodine and then followed with neosporen spray. I really thought I was loosing her for two days. She is showing signs of getting stronger... But very slowly. Not eating much at all. Seems she only wants cracked corn and occasionally egg. She is passing up her yogurt which is one of her favorites. It has now been six days and I still wash her twice a day. I seem to only find two or three maggots each time now down from many. I am worried they are inside her where I can't flush them. Even though she seems better...if ever so slightly, I a, very concerned. She is inside not out with the others. She makes extremely soft clucks. Two days ago she did not cluck at all. Any advice would be appreciated. Also my other silkies... There are three others... Since I took her away have not layer any eggs. Thoughts on that as well greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    There is a horse product called swat. It is a antibiotic ointment with fly repellent in it. You may want to get some at the farm store. This way she can heal and keep flies off at the same time. I use horse products on my chickens. Another being blue kote. Give the swat a try. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard! Sorry to hear about your Silkie. Are you keeping her inside where the flies can't keep getting at her. That might help a lot. Good luck to you!!

4. jpefein

jpefein Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    White Plains NY
    I am keeping her inside. No flys. I will get swat and keep trying. I am hoping since she has made it this far she will be ok. A friend of mine has chickens looked at her and told me she would not make it past a day or two. So I am hopeful she will since it is now six days but she has a lot of damage. I a, not sure what caused it.... Not sure if something got to her or what caused it. Really watching the others now very closely. Thank you.

5. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Ohio!!!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] maggots can travel thru the body and even reach the brain. Most likely she has more - deeper inside that are beyond your reach. A vet may be able to extricate them. She may also have an infection .

8. Welcome to BYC glad you joined us!
    [​IMG]

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by