Silkie Chickens, gendering

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyVictorian, Feb 13, 2017.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I know one is already a rooster because he started off with a pathetic and cute crow yesterday so if it helps I'll post the pictures of him first so you know what the roo's look like in his line and see from there what the other three are.

First is Aiko, buff Rooster (confirmed)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the other three are the ones I don't actually know 100% what they are but I'll post my guesses.

Yuki white (rooster confirmed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking he's a rooster because the crest is so tall like my confirmed rooster. Is he a roo for sure?

Sora, Splash (I have noooo idea.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one I just can't tell, Sora has a short stubby crest like the one I suspect is a hen but in all Sora generally doesn't have much of a crest at all. Pardon my ugly mug.

Hikaru, buff (hen?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a group photo of them.

Yuki, Sora, and Aiko
    [​IMG]
    Sora
    [​IMG]
    Hikaru and Yuki
    [​IMG]
    Everyone
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies can be difficult to sex up to the point of crowing or egg laying. I have noticed that roosters seem to have a wider comb at that age and pullets are more narrow. Either way you just might have to wait a bit yet to be sure.

I would guess that Yuki and Sora are pullets and the buff is a rooster, but I'm calling them guesses at this point.

3. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Well I got one of the buff's who crowed so it took the guess work out of him xD I guess he got tired of me calling him a she and told me straight up "I'm a boy lady." Still call him she by accident because it's so ingrained into my brain but he didn't crow this morning. I guess he hasn't found his voice very well yet. The one crow I heard was pretty sad.

I do hope Sora and Yuki turn out hens. >.< I got them to have a broody breed to hatch eggs under at some point. With only more roo's it would make it hard to hatch those eggs unless they become broody roosters.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies are great broodies, hopefully you have a couple of pullets.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some of the photos are so dark, it's hard to see anything. Can you lighten the exposure (thru Picassa or photo shop) It would also be good to know the age, and wire and birds make it more difficult to see them.

You have to realize you see all of them in the feathers, we see only the bits of body parts that are visible in the photos. We also can't hold crest back while assessing the comb.

I would guess you have a couple pullets in the group but, too soon to make any permanent judgement.

6. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I was right on Yuki, Yuki is also a rooster, confirmed it this morning and had a crow off with Aiko. I think my gendering of these guys will end up very accurate then with 3 roosters and 1 hen T.T Oh well. Might have to buy some older silkie females.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Yikes, they are difficult to sex. Hopefully the one ends up a pullet.

8. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I think if I end up with 1 or no hens I'll buy some full grown hens off someone and see if I can keep the peace between all my roo's. >.<

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some roosters get along some don't. Hopefully your boys behave.

10. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    So far they have small spats but for the most part seem to get along. They did have a rather pathetic crow off this morning though. They hardly rate above my rats when they have a fight and start squeaking.I kept thinking they had something in their throats. A lot less loud even than our baby bantam mixed chicks were. Even from the get go they could be a heard down the block. My silkies are lucky if you can hear them from the next room over with both door opens. At least that is a bonus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by