Silkie Chickens Sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BabySnow06, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BabySnow06

BabySnow06 New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    I have baby silkies that are about a month or so old how started off with a few of their eyes swelling and getting goop in them. Now it is where they feel like they have a fluid in their chest almost like a pocket and you can hear them wheezing and hear fluid in their lungs when they breathe. We have been giving them stuff called vetrx ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XFNVWDSVQAN3T634JW4 ) that we got from our local feed store. They think it may be a respiratory infection but now our adult silkie that is in a different container has the breathing problem. I feel so bad and don't know exactly what to do or if we are doing the right thing now etc. They have been in the air conditioning w/ heat lamps but still in the air so wondering if that effected this but still like I said not sure and very worried. Also concerned that we have a quacker parrot that is in my bedroom on the other side of the house and I don't want him getting sick to. Please Help!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    diagnosis charts at bottom

You may want to look up mycoplasma gallisepticum or chronic respiratory disease in poultry. In order to know for sure you can send a chicken off for necropsy (but it must be put down for this). MG can pass through the egg to the chick and can render chickens asymptomatic carriers.

I don't know what is wrong but thought this may give you a starting point for research.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It does sound like a respiratory disease. I would start giving them Oxytetracyline (sold under names such as Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, LA 200, and Duramycin). If it is a disease caused by a bacteria (such as Chronic Respiratory Disease), this should help. If its a virus, all you can do is provide supportive treatment and wait for the disease to run its course. Supportive treatment consists of giving probiotics, electrolytes, and vitamins, and keeping the birds warm.

Keep us updated, and hope this helps!

4. BabySnow06

BabySnow06 New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    Well our adult silkie that seems like she got it from the babies, passed away today. Such a sad loss for us because she was a pet in all reality and didn't even know she was a chicken. Plus now we have to tell my grandmother who is currently in a nursing home that her chicken she raised from a baby last year that she trusted us to keep got sick and died. The babies seem ok I think. We have been giving them all that rx meds so I don't know if its going to help or not. our adult though was having a lot of trouble breathing.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am sorry for your loss.

6. BabySnow06

BabySnow06 New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    Thanks hoping the babies will be ok now. the ones eye is starting to open again. I thought it would never get it's eye back. Really hoping them all being sick will be over soon and that they won't continue to carry whatever they do have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by