Silkie chickens!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MeghanChickLady, Aug 7, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    I have five Silkies. Had 6, but gave one away. I have four hens 1 rooster. my hens, except one, are skittish but sweet and make the cutest sounds. My one hen, Rocky, the social one, comes right up to me. She falls asleep in my arms a lot and even lets me hold her like a baby. My rooster is very protective and always leads my hens to the best food sources. However, he is aggressive; whenever I approach, he lowers his head and pecks the ground, stamping his feet, clucking madly. Sometimes he just stands there and stares at me, and I think, "Maybe hes nice now" but then, seconds later, he crows and I near about jump out of my skin! If you have silkies, or any other sweetheart chickens, feel free to tell me about it!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I have a partridge Silkie! She's sweet, but more skittish then all the other chickens. My Black sex link is the sweetest. Every time I sit down in their run she'll come up and jump on my lap! She just LOVES me!

3. MeghanChickLady

Aug 6, 2014
    I love a good chicken. My hen, Rocky, lets me hold her like a baby and I recently taught her to perch on my shoulder and arm. She is just the sweetest! Im going to incubate some eggs soon, and I plan on having her raise them once they hatch if shes broody. All my silkies are white, though. Next year Im hopefully going to try other colors. Do you know, if I breed two white silkies will their offspring have to be white as well? Or will it possibly another color?

4. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I recommend partridge coloring! It's so pretty! I'm pretty sure that if you breed white with white you'll get white.

5. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Personally I've been breeding silkies for years and I've only had 2 human aggressive roosters and a few hen agrrssive roosters. I immediately sent them down old curry road..... He is acting like that because he sees you as either a submissive where he is dominant or as competition . either way its not a good sign. It can and usually leads to agressuve behaviors, by tid biting lowering his head and upping his back/ hackle feathers he is challenging you

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I used to have some Black Silkies. They were such adorable, sweet, friendly birds, and the hens were wonderful sitters and mothers and raised several broods for us. Good luck with your Silkies.

7. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I love my silkie girls, especially the blacks . they may get friendlier over time and with handling or they may not. I have one which is the spookiest and spaztastic hen... She is mental and is called Mindy ( mental Mindy) . though I didn't raise her I got her as a hen but she has never come around to humans . the rest of mine are super friendly and come squarking up to see me with the squeals of glee when I have something for them lol

1 person likes this.
  8. MeghanChickLady

Aug 6, 2014
    thanks! If any of you other guys have color recommendations, do post! When I got mine all they had was white, but when I went back a few weeks later, the store had other options. Black, brown-tan, white, this greyish color. And if you have chicken breeds you absolutely LOVE, tell me! Im looking to start a bigger chicken family!

9. MeghanChickLady

Aug 6, 2014
    Thank you for the warning. Do you know ways to ward off, or hopefully completely stop, this behavior?

10. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Blacks are really pretty too, but i love my partridge.
    This is Lexi as a tiny chick!
    [​IMG]
    Growing up!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She's 14 weeks old now. But these are my most recent of her!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by