Silkie chicks and roosting

This is really a misconception with silkies. They can and will roost IF the roost is short enough for them to get on or if there is a ramp/stairway. It just depends on the height of the roost. My roost is about maybe a foot high and my silkie are able to roost on it.

Last edited:
Some roost some done, all depends on the chicken. Mine have a nice low roost but all sleep together at night in the nest boxes (they range from 6 months to 1 1/2 years) Somtimes during the day when I go out to say hi I will see a few sitting on the lowest roos. Dont worry about it if they dont !!

Quote:
I think a foot is to high, my first one starts at about 4-5 inches and they can walk/jump up to the others from there.

But then again somtimes I find them on top of the boxes and they are over a foot, Who knows they are weired, LOL !!

They are more likely to roost off the ground when there are other chickens roosting. I have Sizzles and they do roost like other chickens thought I keep the roost low. My roosters that I have place in with them have all taken to roosting and the perch even though they had never do so before I placed them in that pen. I have also encouraged them to roost by placing them on a 2/4 that is braced to it stays upright they will step up on things that they have no problem seeing. The thing with Silkies is they can't see very well to get up to a roost that is very high. If you want them off the floor, you can train to roost by just placing them on a low roost when the to in. Many times it only takes one or two trys to give them the idea.

I have a few roos that do roost and have ways for them to get up on the roosts. However, a majoraty of them form the "silkie pile" in one particular corner of the wire mesh stalls. I have put a large piece of plywookd behind the stall so a racoon can not grab them and pull them through the mesh.

The funny thing is, the big ol' cochin roo loves to sleep with them and I have found other roos in the pile on different nights. I think they like the warmth for thier combs. I even found a wild game hen in there one night, that was unusual.

Back
Top Bottom