1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Silkie chicks color question/PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jen5680, May 14, 2010.

1. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    If someone would be kind enough to tell me what color these are. I no that #2 is a little yellow chick and that it will grow up to be white but what about #1 and #3 seems to be white but I thought white baby silkies were yellow.
    thanks!!
    [​IMG]

2. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    It looks buff not white. I had some buffs and whites and I could tell the difference. The others look blue.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    No, it for sure isn't buff.

4. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Songster

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    A lot depends on what the hen ate as she was forming the egg. If the hen had been eating a lot of greens and a carotene rich diet, the chick will absorb the coloring from the yolk and the down will be yellow. The yolks on some of my eggs are deep orange and white chicks hatch out bright yellow to light orange.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yellow vs white down is genetic. Whether a hen's diet can influence the colour of down is something I have not heard before.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    #2 looks buff. #3 looks white. My white silkie chicks have always had white down.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    #1 is either white (carrying one or two copies of silver), blue or splash. It would help to see the entire bird, not just its head.

8. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Songster

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Quote:Agreed but the bright orange yolks can turn the down yellow on an otherwise white chick.

9. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Songster

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I color fed a white OEG hen once and ended up with a peach colored bird. She looked dyed but she was not. Of course she turned white again the next time she molted.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    #1 looks blue, #2 buff, #3 white or splash, looks more white though. Can you get full body pics of each chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: