Silkie chicks dying 2 at a time.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Taisho1111, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Taisho1111

Taisho1111 New Egg

Feb 13, 2014
    I ordered 25 silkie chicks through a reputable website and picked them up at the post office yesterday. They were only in the mail for two days before they arrived. When I opened the box one was dead on arrival but they had sent a couple extra and I had 27 left. I followed the website's instructions to the letter, making sure the heat lamp was keeping half of their space at a perfect 95 degree temperature with half of the space unheated so they can get away from it if need be, gave them warm sugar water for the first 24 hours that was kept warm under the heat lamp, dipped all of their beaks gently in it to show them where the water was, then switched to regular warm water, provided them with medicated chick crumbles, and handled them as little as possible to reduce stress. They are also in aspen wood chips for bedding which is supposed to be better than pine. Within the last 24 hours 15 more have died. The strange thing is they always seem to die in pairs, are showing no outward signs of disease or distress, are perfectly happy and healthy in appearance and are active and not lethargic at all; then two will suddenly become lethargic, lie down, and die about an hour later. I have no idea what is going on with this but I am upset and concerned as these were purchased primarily as companion pets (not for any practical purpose like layers). Is this some sort of disease or what? Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check you lamp as pwand suggested,make sure it is not teflon coated or any casing around lamp contains no teflon.

Check the water,make sure it is not too warm as you mentioned you have it under the heat lamp. Watch your chicks,make sure they are in fact eating/drinking.Any pasty butt issues? Have large is your brooder? Where is your brooder located? How many days have you had them?

Make sure you become aware of all the symptoms of Coccidiosis and treat immediately,if any bird shows any of the symptoms. Coccis kills very fast,but is easily controlled.

Note: in regards to teflon products,this includes baking pans,frying pans,etc.anything that has a teflon coating is toxic to birds. Many do not realize this and are cooking/baking with teflon products when all of a sudden their birds die,they have succumbed to teflon toxicity

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by