Silkie Chicks fighting like Roosters....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickeneer45, Oct 27, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    My two six week old silkie chicks were just fighting like roosters. Does this mean that they are both roosters? They did the whole "showdown" stance and it was identical to what I have seen roosters do in the past. Can hens fight like this too? Or are they guaranteed to be roosters?? Thanks!

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    that isnt a gurantee, I always say behavior is no way to tell gender. I have had hens scuffle. Yesterday I actually had a bantam rooster starting fights with everyone he even started a fight with a d'uccle pullet. Neck feathers were up and they were hopping at each other. And they are for sure a pullet and a rooster.

3. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

4. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 18 month old hens that chest bump and fight all the time just like roosters. I had to put them in separate pens and they still fence fight.[​IMG]They both get along with all the other chickens they live with just not each other.

5. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    Okay thank goodness because I can only have one rooster!

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    This may sound confusing but here it goes- Just ebcause hens will fight too dosent automatically mean that your chicks are girls. there is still a possibility that they are boys. You just cant sex chicks based on behaviour is the point I was trying to get across. Silkies are extremly hard to sex too.(at young ages anyways)

7. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    Yeah I know I understand that, I was just saying that I am glad that their fates arent sealed yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by