Silkie chicks - housing question?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silkiechicks16, Nov 9, 2016.

1. silkiechicks16

silkiechicks16 New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    Hi everyone

I am a first time silkie owner of two hens and one of which has recently hatched out two chicks ( they are currently 1 day old).

They are housed in a backyard coop that has two levels (one ground level, the upper level has a ramp to the top)

They were born on the upper level of the coop, inside the nest box.

I am wondering if and when I need to move the chicks down to the lower level? Or is this something they will do in their own time?

Currently I have the top level closed off so they can't fall out, and they have food and water in there for the mumma hen and the chicks. But I am wondering if the mother hen will want to get out and stretch her legs and eat with the other hen on the lower level?

Advice needed?

Thank you!!

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

One day old is a bit early. Mom is probably still sitting on them. When she starts to get up off of them, then you can let her out for a bit..if it's nice enough outside.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What is your weather like now? Baby chicks will not be able to navigate a ramp from top to bottom floor. If they get left behind, they could get chilled.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us and congrats on the chicks.

Best wishes
    CT

5. silkiechicks16

silkiechicks16 New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    Thank you for your replies.

So I should just leave them shut inside for a week or so? I live in Australia where it is currently 33degrees during the day, so its pretty warm.

In your experience, will Mum taken them down when ready?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    When I've used broody hens to hatch chicks, I have moved mum and chicks to the floor level of the coop (I use a garden shed) immediately after the chicks have hatched. I've provided food and water, and then let mum decide when and where she wants to take the chicks. Usually they take them outside after a couple of days, in my experience.

As its hot down there at the moment, you may wish to take a look at this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/788391/keeping-chickens-cool-in-summer-heat

7. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your new chicks!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I wish you the best of luck with mama and babies! I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Good luck with those chicks and their mama! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by