Silkie chicks - housing question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiechicks16, Nov 9, 2016.

1. silkiechicks16

silkiechicks16 New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    Hi everyone

I am a first time silkie owner of two hens and one of which has recently hatched out two chicks ( they are currently 1 day old).

They are housed in a backyard coop that has two levels (one ground level, the upper level has a ramp to the top)

They were born on the upper level of the coop, inside the nest box.

I am wondering if and when I need to move the chicks down to the lower level? Or is this something they will do in their own time?

Currently I have the top level closed off so they can't fall out, and they have food and water in there for the mumma hen and the chicks. But I am wondering if the mother hen will want to get out and stretch her legs and eat with the other hen on the lower level?

Advice needed?

Thank you!!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I would take them down for a little bit every day so mama could stretch her legs. The chicks should be fine with mama around though I would keep an eye on them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

When a momma hen hatches out chicks, her brain tells her to stay on the nest another day or so, to allow any late eggs to hatch. She can't count, so she doesn't know if she's done hatching or not [​IMG]. I don't mess with my broodies, I let momma decide when to take them off the nest. Mine always do so by the third day, usually on the second day.

They'll most likely tumble down the first time, but they'll be fine. You might want to pad the landing zone a bit with some straw or shavings, but really they can take a good drop and be just fine. Getting back up might be a challenge. My hens usually brood their chicks on the floor, not going back up to the nest boxes. You might want to make a space down on the bottom for momma to make a nest area on the ground, in a nice corner somewhere.

Be sure your feeders and waterers are low enough the baby chicks can get to them.

Have fun watching momma raise her babies! One of the best parts of raising chickens, IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by