Silkie chicks not using heat anymore...

Madhouse Pullet

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 18, 2014
California
I have two 4 week old silkie chicks. I have been using a heat plate since I got them, with no issues. Brooding them inside the house since its still cold at night but our thermostat stays between 70°-78°.
Then, this week they're refusing to go under at night. I thought maybe they'd grown and couldn't fit so I raised it a little but no luck. I checked it to make sure it works then tried putting them under but they refuse.

I wasn't worried too much at first but after reading how sensitive silkies can be, I kinda started worrying more.

20210404_154829.jpg

picture taken yesterday while they were outside

First time with silkies.

They are clearly telling you that they don't need it. Many people that read that 90 to 95 and drop 5 degrees a week thing are pretty surprised when they learn that the chicks can't read so they do what they want to do instead of following rules they never heard of.

You can eave it in or you can take it out, doesn't matter. But you can't make them use it if they don't want to. That's a lost cause.

I think the most important question is where are the sleeping now that they prefer.
I am suspecting it is a perch.

At this age they really like using perches up to the point of them shivering their tiny butts but I'd say they know what they are doing and as long as they can freely walk under the heat plate without having to duck too much then I'd say they can pick and choose and will know if they get too cold.

You need to adjust the height of the heat plate as they grow but also increase it as they get older too so it get further and further from their heads as they sleep.

I know mine would be hopping on top of the heat plate and using the heat escaping out the top instead..

Last edited:
By four weeks, I have most of my chicks weaned off heat completely and moved out to the coop. If your house is over 70 degrees, they might be warm enough that they don’t want/need the heat plate anymore.
I think I will be removing the heat then. I gave it one more shot last night and they instead chose a corner to sleep.
chicks can't read so they do what they want to do instead of following rules they never heard of.
:lau I guess they would know more than me!

The bantams are so much smaller than my standard chickens that they still look like baby chicks to me 😂 hard to believe they're already 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom