silkie chicks should arive in two days but i have a question ?

Lisa0318

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Phoenix AZ
Hi everyone i have three baby silkies about two weeks old and got them from a feed store about a week ago, i have them on medicated feed and duramycin with save a chick in water because they have been sneezing and one has white clear mucus coming out of its nose.I already had orderd mine on line but when i went to get they'r supplies i saw these ones and thaught they were so cute but now they are sick, so when my new babys arrive should i put them together and give antibiotic to or should i not give it to them until i see signs of sickness?

Any advice will be very apreciated thanks.

A good practice would be to acclimate your new babies. Especially if your previous babies were sick. Its always good to have your babies wait a month before merging with other babies, that way you can notice any little signs of disease before it breaks to all your babies. Its always good to be safe, especially since chicks can really catch some things. Normally i dont have a problem with babies getting sick, but do what you think should be done. If you think the babies look a little peeky then give them some antibiotics. Best of luck. I find that silkies are a joy to have, i have one that is the leader of the babies, except right now she is in the house recovering her broken leg. Silkies are such a joy.

Keep them separate. In different rooms. Take care of your new babies first. Don't share anything between them. Do a search to find out what is the matter with them.

The thing is that i purchased a silkie roo from a feed store and he had some sort of sikness tha he braugth to my home and then the rest of my healthy flock came down with like a cold symptoms and i had to give them duramycin. a had him on quarantine for 32 days and a week after i introduced him to my silkies one of my blue hens died a couple days later. He didn't show any signs of illness. This happened about five month ago and when i purchased my baby silkies a week ago i didn't take them outside i have them in my beedroom in there brooder. So my new babys have not been in contact with the flock outside but still they got sick and show same simptoms as my chickens outside.

The employee at the feed store recomended me to give duramycin to all my chick just so they dont get sick but i have read here in some forums that its not a good idea tho do that unless they have symptoms . This is so frustrating for me.
barnie.gif
he.gif
i just want whats best for all my baby's. I love my chickens.
love.gif

oh no i think i found what my flock has been infected with , it seem that coryza is what my babys have symptoms of
hit.gif

and it said that they will be cariers for life. So every bird that comes to my home will get infected then?

Hi Lisa.. I'm by far not a "chicken doctor" and definately not a vet... But I do have a bit of experience with "people medicine". Take what I say with a grain of salt.

coryza is not a disease persay.. It's a group of symptoms. runny nose, stuffy mucous membranes.. A head cold. It doesn't define any pathogen, or even if viral or bacterial.

But say for the sake of argument that we are dealing with a "worst case", which is it is a pathogen that they will always carry. This does not mean that every bird that comes to your home will be infected. It would mean that any bird that comes in contact with your flock has a good chance of becoming infected. Dwellings and materials can be disinfected. Cheap items can be discarded..

EDIT TO ADD: Doramycin is a dewormer.. It's not a systemic antibiotic. I don't see how a parasite in the intestinal tract would cause respitory problems.. But again, I'm not a chicken doctor.

Last edited:
Quote:
Coryza is a avian disease. In humans it is a group of symptoms. Here is a link to an article about it in peafowl. Treatment would be the same for chickens, but a lower dosage.

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/15/

Duramycin is not a dewormer. It is an antibiotic for Cocci. But it is very hard on the chicks system. Corid would be much safer if they had cocci.

Last edited:
Well thanx for the advise on corid , do u happen to know where i could find that med? because i get duramycin from my local feed store.

Back
Top Bottom