Silkie Chicks - Temperament

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by atabby, Sep 30, 2013.

1. atabby

atabby Out Of The Brooder

On Saturday my partner and I started our flock with 11 day old chicks and 2 silkies that are between 1 and 2 weeks old. The majority of the chicks are more than happy to be held and tend to cuddle in to us and fall asleep. They don't scatter away in their brooder when we go to pick them up, they seem very happy. The silkies seem very happy in the brooder too, they jump around with the other chicks as well as one another. However, when we go to pick them up they spread their wings out and try to fly/jump away...they don't seem to keen to be held.

Is this simply because they were a little older when we brought them home and so haven't been used to being held from when they hatched? I've been trying to pick them up at least once a day, and my partner is doing the same. Does anyone have any advice on what else we can do? Once we are holding them they seem to calm down, it only seems to be a problem when we go to pick them up. We've also been feeding them out of our hands a little so that they know we are not harmful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by