Silkie Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k625, Aug 14, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I am new the group..and new to the world of chickens!! [​IMG] I am very excited to have joined the group and to be the owner of 3 silkie chicks very soon! I do not want any roosters, and ive heard it is very very hard to sex chicks, especially these fluffy little guys. Anyone that has any tips or pictures would be great. I am driving over an hour to get these 3 little guys..well gals I guess lol, so I want them to be hens. Any other tips on raising silkies would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much to all.
    Katie

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Katie & Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

We have 5 Silkies who just turned 13 weeks old yesterday. We notices about 2 weeks ago that it looks like we lucked up and have 4 pullets and 1 cockeral as he is the only one who has wattles and what seems to be a comb at the top of his beak. I know, not much help, huh?!? [​IMG]

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

Dawn

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Take it from someone who raises only Silkies at this point, don't bet on it until you've had quite a few hatches under your belt.

Occassionally there will be one in the bunch that you look at and say "that's a boy" and be right. But you better mark that possible boy in some way because it will completely change at the first molt.

I had one girl that kept me guessing until she laid her first egg, she was 8 months old. One boy that until he crowed at 6 months was still a maybe. Had the cockeral streamers and a big poof on his head.

I've got one 3 month old boy out there that is a boy, no doubt at all. But there is another 3 month old that its still very unclear what sex it might be.

The only sure way to get the balance of sexes you want is to buy older birds.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree... I can't tell really till they are like 3 months of age... Good luck.

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Silkies are the most impossible breed to sex. I know I went back and forth on whether one of mine was girl or boy for the longest time. I think she was about 7 months when she finally laid an egg.

6. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Wow that sounds pretty wild..its just the guessing game with the chicks lol. Well...all I can say is if 3 months down the road I find I have a roo he will be posted for sale on here lol. I myslef wouldnt mind having one around, if he wasnt too loud. Although we live in neighborhood we are allowed to have farm animals because ofthe size of the lots. How noisy are the boys?? My mom is just concerned about the neighbors complaining. Thanks for all of your help, and hopefully im off to get my GIRLS lol this weekend. [​IMG]

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    It depends on the boy. I've got one who produces very nice chicks but I've yet to hear him crow at one year old. But I had one still here in the house attempting to crow at 6 weeks.

A couple of my boys never shut up, then there is the guys who rarely say anything at all.

8. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Ive always like the quite type in my men lol...haha.. That would be nice to have some quite boys. Another kind of newbie question. I know to some of you these questions might seem crazy, but im going ot be a first time chick owner so please excuse my lack of knowledge.. When the hen lays the eggs, fertile or not how soon do you have to get them before they go bad or a fertile egg begins for grow chick?? Thanks for all the help!

9. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Welcome (to the addiction)! [​IMG]

As long as you collect the eggs daily, it should be fine. I'd start to hesitate after three or four days. Depends on the temperature in the coop.

I hope you have a lot of fun with your Silkies. I'm jealous! [​IMG] I've been wanting some pullets or hens for a while now.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by