Silkie Chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sillyovrsilkies, Jan 24, 2011.

1. sillyovrsilkies

sillyovrsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    I've got 8 (4 mo. old) blue Silkies and am getting ready to purchase some more babies very soon! Would you please advise introducing babies (after they've reached 8 wks.) to the others and more importantly b/c I'm trying to decide colors to order...Will my older roo mate with my younger ones when they reach breeding age? I really want to end up with some splash silkies... since I already have blue I'm thinking of purchasing some whites, but didn't know if I should buy a few blues of the same age or can I count on my older roo?? Does this make sense???

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    If your goal is to end up with Splash silkies, and you already have blue, then you need to buy some black or splash to go with your blues----white will not create Splash.

Can't really figure out what you're asking about the "older roo"....

3. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Are you asking if your older rooster will mate with the hens when they get breeding age? Because...yes.

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    If your silkies are not used to the different color...then it will take a while. My silkie roo had a problem with my partridge. He refused to accept her as a chicken! ..That is, until all the others went broody and she was the last one left...[​IMG]

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Yes, this absolutely will happen. Especially if the birds are raised with all the same color. If they are raised in a mixed color flock until breeding age, then they are more likely to breed a different color hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by