1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2hot2chicken, Jul 22, 2011.

1. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Ok finally I was told my chicks will be in either today or tomorrow and hes not sure exactly what he got for colors and whatnot.
    I told him I wanted blue/splash bearded chicks. Is there a way to tell by looking at them at less than a week old if they will be bearded or non? My guess is he will have them in a huge tub mixed with other type of chicks so I am not only gona have to pickou the silkies but Im gona have to choose out the bearded or non bearded ones....... Heres Hoping he got what I wanted and then some.... I decided to go with not just blue/splash but also wanted to get some buff and/or red and white if he gets them to. 10 total Im also getting 4 1week old andalusian chicks that i know he has coming from his own flock.

Today or tomorrow the waiting is torture.......lol:barnie

2. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    UUUHHHGGG
    Just called to see if they were in as they just opened and all I could get was I have no idea and to call back in about 2 hours!!!!!

3. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    So Nobody Knows If You Can Or Cannot Tell A Difference Then.... Huh?

4. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    WENT DOWN THEIR YESTERDAY AND NOBODY HAD A CLUE WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT AND THE USUAL GIRL WAS OFF FOR THE DAY.
    iF THEY ARE NOT THERE TODAY THEN i AM TELLING THEM TO CANCEL THE ORDER AND i AM ORDERING FROM iDEAL POULTRY.
    i KNOW ITS SUMMER BUT HERE IN THE NW WEVE BEEN HAVING RECORD LOW TEMPS IN THE 60'S AND 70'S. tHIS WEEKEND WE MAY GET UP TO 80! YA!!!!!
    i FIGURE IT WILL BE SAFE FOR THE QUICK TRIP FROM TEXAS TO OREGON. AND ONCE THEY REACH A WAYS NORTH OF TEXAS THE TEMPS START TO COOL OFF SO....... HERES HOPIN!
    i ALREADY CHECKED WITH MY LOCAL PO AND THE TRIP WOULD BE OVERNIGHT UNLESS A NATURAL DISASTER OR (..... LOST MAIL)[​IMG]

THEY OPEN IN 15 MINUTES BUT I AM GOING TO GIVE THEM AN HOUR JUST TO MAKE SURE!

5. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I hope they came and are ok. Mine are due the 29th.

6. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    what happened? Did you get them?

7. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Sorry had a very frustrating weekend! Another excuss and no chicks! Though 2 upset kids about it as they were really looking forward to bringing home babies again. I got a little hormonal (7 months pregnant) and kinda flipped out on a lady there. She tried to offer me some mixed breed farm assorted chicks instead of the silkies and andalusians I ordered over 3 weeks before! That was when I lost it........ These are for my daughter to show in 4H and heintz 57 mixed chicks wouldn't work and she couldn't understand that!

Anyway I went home and checked the weather for this week from TX to OR and other than being in the 90's in TX it cools down the farther north you go and is going to be in the 70's in the Northwest almost all week. So I decided to order from Ideal Poultry in TX as they are 1 of the closest hatcheries that actually has silkies.

That was on saturday and they called me at 9am this morning to confirm my order and there was a bit of a mix up as far as them having enough blue silkies to fill my order but its straitened out and my chicks will ship on wednesday and I will have them by thursday! NO MORE B.S.!

I ordered 8 blue silkies (st. run) and 2 white standard brahma pullets.
    Ideal and almost every other hatchery is out of blue andalusians for the year? so we decided that we would do brahmas now and maybe next spring when they are more readily available we would order some andalusians. Silkies will be enough to get our daughter started in 4H and it will take her a while to learn the ropes anyway.

I also did get the run around from my PO as I moved into my house in Jan this year and though I knew there were a couple PO close by I had no idea who was ours...... They gave me the run around but I finally found the right 1 and its even the main distribution for the rest of them. And the lady I talked to was most helpful and has had chicks many times before come throught there. She said they will probably call me between 6 and 8am and though they are not open they will allow to me to come in and pick them up as soon as they talk to me!

FINALLY.... relief and excited! LOL:celebrate

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Ugh, so sorry you had to go through all that for your Silkie chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have my [​IMG] for a safe arrival!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by