silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cottagechick, Sep 15, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have two 17 day old silkies. One of them has alot more tail and back feathers coming in than the other (who really has none) could this be a sign of roo vs hen?

Also, can chicks eat too much? I have been providing them all they care to eat food...but their crops seem almost as big as they are...is this normal?

Thanks,
    Julie

2. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Gratz on the silkies i just bought 7 myself mine are about 8 weeks and i have no idea what any of them are. It is my experince with chicks like any other animals they eat till there not hungry i wouldnt be concerned. As for sexing your silkies even the most experinced breeders have problems doing so accurately. At about 8 to 10 months they will lay or crow till then your just gonna be guessing. You can post some pics im sure some of the people here would be more then happy to hazzard a educated guess.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Make sure they have grit if you are feeding anything other than commercial feed AND they are not free ranging for rocks.

Silkies are hard to determine the gender of, and I have had some fool me before, lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by