Silkie co-mamas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KristyAz, Dec 9, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I had 2 silkies who went broody about the same time. Baby is a couple of days old and 2 days in row I have found it in the other nest box from the hen that hatched it. I have no idea how it's getting over there, but mama-2 seems to take good care of it. Mama-1 has another egg that should be hatching soon.

Should I stay out of this?

2. Quote:It is just fine!

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have two silkie mamas that are raising their babies together. The first mama had her baby for a week until the other two hatched for mama #2. They both share the same nest and show each other's baby what to eat but they only sit on their own. Here is a pic of my co-mamas taking a break in the middle of the coop. It has worked out great! That is two ninja mama's to protect the babies.
    [​IMG]

4. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Quote:It is just fine!

Ok, good! BTW, nice partridge in your avatar.

5. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Quote:Aww, very sweet!

Ok, I'm out of it. They are the experts.

6. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    We have co-mamas right now too. Except all four chicks hatched at the same time and they split the babies 50/50 AND what freaks me out, is if I take the chicks out and then put them back, they always take the same ones back, they must be able to identify which baby is theirs. Pretty amazing!!!

7. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    how can you not want a silkie ,,, are they not adorable [​IMG],,, mine should arrive from the hatchery this spring i can't wait!!![​IMG]

8. zibby

zibby Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Shiner
    I am having a similar issue. I have 2 silkie mamas. One went broody first and I got her some polish eggs to hatch. Then the other one went broody and I had some silkie eggs I had collected. They do not want to be seperated. The problem is that the polish eggs are scheduled to hatch on Tuesday, and the Silkie eggs on Saturday. Also, they have mixed up the eggs. I keep puting the polish under one and the silkie under the other, but they trade them out throughtout the day and mix them up. What will happen when they start to hatch???

9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a Hatching Team as well! Mine is a Silkie and a Bantam Cochin. Silkie Mama actually steals the eggs and chhicks from Aunt Lou, but Aunt Lou doesn't seem to care. She will still set with no eggs in the broody hutch and after they hatch, is more than happy to play Auntie. None of the eggs belong to either of them anyway.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59865_2011-08-17_17-24-06_687.jpg

10. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Perfectly normal [​IMG] my two oldest Silkie hens do it too, but the other one only joins in when the eggs are close to hatching. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by