Silkie cocherel being aggressive towards Sizzle pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dawn secord, Feb 13, 2017.

1. dawn secord

dawn secord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    I have a Silkie cockerel. He is about 9 months old and has been successfully covering two old silkie hens and a small bantam cochin hen. Their run is about 12' x 14'.

I've two young pullets (at least I am hoping they are pullets - no combs or waddles developing thus far) that are in a run inside that run so I can introduce them into my small flock. The pullets were hatched 4 1/2 months ago. They are not laying or doing anything that definitive that tells me they are boys or girls. Right now, I really feel they are girls.

So, today, it was observed that the cockerel and the sizzle were throwing themselves at each other through the fencing that is separating them. By the time I was able to get out to the chicken run, they had stopped. I've been putting them next to each other for about a week now and have never seen ill behavior. I watched them for a while and they never started up again.

Is this normal?? My intention was to integrate them with the others in the near future - probably when they show signs of sexual maturity. May be a few months before they are completely together.

Advice?? Thank you

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    This is normal

3. dawn secord

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    WOW - that makes me feel so much better. I was fearing my sizzle pullet was secretly a cockerel. Do you think I just need for her to start showing signs of sexual maturing before putting them together?

Would appreciate any suggestions you have. Don't want anyone getting injured.

4. dawn secord

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    For the record - my thread title is mislabeled - it should read Sizzle pullet showing signs of aggression towards Silkie cockerel. . well, actually, I've only observed them sparing through the fence once in progress. Have no idea who started it.

5. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    She might be a he, or she might just be a feisty little girl. Either way you might want to wait a while before putting them together. So no one gets hurt.

6. dawn secord

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    agree - thanks

7. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by