Silkie / cochin crosses?? PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hd_darcy, May 31, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have some baby chicks that are just a couple days old. The mom is a silkie, but unsure of the roo. I'm pretty certain it would be either silkie or a cochin. If I posted pics would you be able to tell if they were a silkie/cochin cross ore pure silkie at such a young age? I don't want to mess with pics, if you won't be able to tell when they are this little (I'm lazy - ha!). If you can tell, I'll get my butt out there and get some pics to share. Thank you!

ETA: PICTURES!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Pure Silkie chicks would have black skin, show some sort of crest, have 5 toes, and only a little fleshy spot where the comb would be. Oh, and the feathers as they came in would resemble a Silkie's feathers.

Cochin crosses might or might not have those features. Most likely, the feathers would be hard feathers like you would see on a Cochin. They may have single combs and possibly a bit more heavily feathered legs.

Post pics anyways. We love seeing cuddly babies. [​IMG]

3. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, I edited to add pictures. And, I'm so mad. I was out in the coop trying to get the darn roosters out of my way, and one chick ended up getting stepped on and has a gash on his/her head [​IMG] It doesn't look that bad, but should I put anything on it? Will the others peck on it now? I so need to get rid of some roosters, they are driving me crazy!

4. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I have a cochin x silkie.. she has grey skin.. silkie cone... I could not tell until she started feathering in that she was a cross.. her feathers came in hard..

Here are some pics as a chick

[​IMG]

When she started feathering in

[​IMG]

Adult

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps... You will soon know as it dont take long for them to feather up [​IMG]

5. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for sharing the pics - adorable!! I got to thinking my roosters are: 1 red cochin (regular feathers), 1 black frizzle cochin, 1 americana (never seen him mount), 1 light brama (never seen him mount anything), and then 1 white silkie, and 1 splash silkie (or can't think of the other name....he might not be a splash, but he's multi-colored grey like splash).

This may be a dumb question, but when they hatch out a clutch of eggs, the eggs can be all different, from different roos?? Or not usually the case?

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, the eggs could be fertilized by different roos. How many toes do your chicks have? Do the blues/grays have green legs?

7. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:The eggs could be from different hens, and fertilized by different roo's.. A broody hen will sit on any eggs lying around, even if they were duck eggs ect, they dont mind, and are not fussy [​IMG]

8. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I believe they all have 5 toes like silkies do, and the black skin. The eggs came from a silkie hen..so I think it's normal for them to have the 5 toes and black skin? But the feathering is what I'm wondering about - if they are pure silkie or a cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by