Silkie / cochin crosses?? PICS ADDED

hd_darcy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I have some baby chicks that are just a couple days old. The mom is a silkie, but unsure of the roo. I'm pretty certain it would be either silkie or a cochin. If I posted pics would you be able to tell if they were a silkie/cochin cross ore pure silkie at such a young age? I don't want to mess with pics, if you won't be able to tell when they are this little (I'm lazy - ha!). If you can tell, I'll get my butt out there and get some pics to share. Thank you!

ETA: PICTURES!

55840_p1080224.jpg

55840_p1080225.jpg

55840_p1080231.jpg

55840_p1080233.jpg

Last edited:
Pure Silkie chicks would have black skin, show some sort of crest, have 5 toes, and only a little fleshy spot where the comb would be. Oh, and the feathers as they came in would resemble a Silkie's feathers.

Cochin crosses might or might not have those features. Most likely, the feathers would be hard feathers like you would see on a Cochin. They may have single combs and possibly a bit more heavily feathered legs.

Post pics anyways. We love seeing cuddly babies.
big_smile.png

Okay, I edited to add pictures. And, I'm so mad. I was out in the coop trying to get the darn roosters out of my way, and one chick ended up getting stepped on and has a gash on his/her head
sad.png
It doesn't look that bad, but should I put anything on it? Will the others peck on it now? I so need to get rid of some roosters, they are driving me crazy!

I have a cochin x silkie.. she has grey skin.. silkie cone... I could not tell until she started feathering in that she was a cross.. her feathers came in hard..

Here are some pics as a chick

61403_various_013.jpg

When she started feathering in

61403_chicks_004.jpg

Adult

61403_polish_chicks_031.jpg

61403_april_9th_chicks_012.jpg

Hope this helps... You will soon know as it dont take long for them to feather up
smile.png

Thank you for sharing the pics - adorable!! I got to thinking my roosters are: 1 red cochin (regular feathers), 1 black frizzle cochin, 1 americana (never seen him mount), 1 light brama (never seen him mount anything), and then 1 white silkie, and 1 splash silkie (or can't think of the other name....he might not be a splash, but he's multi-colored grey like splash).

This may be a dumb question, but when they hatch out a clutch of eggs, the eggs can be all different, from different roos?? Or not usually the case?

Quote:
The eggs could be from different hens, and fertilized by different roo's.. A broody hen will sit on any eggs lying around, even if they were duck eggs ect, they dont mind, and are not fussy
big_smile.png

I believe they all have 5 toes like silkies do, and the black skin. The eggs came from a silkie hen..so I think it's normal for them to have the 5 toes and black skin? But the feathering is what I'm wondering about - if they are pure silkie or a cross.

Back
Top Bottom