Silkie Cochin?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WillsMama93, May 14, 2008.

1. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    My white cochin is fluffier than my lavender cochin, and she's two weeks younger. Is there such a thing as a silkie cochin? Her rump feathers don't "stick" together like my other birds, either. I will try to post a pic later.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Silkie feathers have shown up in cochins before (As well as other breeds and waterfowl). It is very possible that is what you have. I would love to see some pics!

3. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    There is such a thing.. I have one. black cochin x black silkie hen.. looks like a cochin except a puff (more like a little pony tail lol) on head and 5 toes,black skin.. very sweet hen...

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Cochins are pretty fluffy in general. Silkie-feathered cochins aren't all that common. I'm assuming you got the lavender from Ideal? The lavenders are a relatively new variety and may not show the same cochin features as a more established variety, such as white. This could account for the lack of fluff on the lavender. A pic would definately help.

5. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    I got the lavender from the feed store, and they order from Ideal. Lola (my lavender) has a tail that seems to be a little straighter than Coconut's (my white) Coconut looks like a powder puff in the back! I just love them both!

[​IMG]

That's Coconut.. you can see Lola's butt on the right

[​IMG]

Here's the two of them munching on oatmeal side-by-side

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They're both beautiful. Coconut's definately a cochin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by