SIlkie~Cock or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkiemelon, Apr 13, 2012.

1. silkiemelon

silkiemelon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    I have 2 Silkies, they are 3 months old and are Black and Buff.
    I have no idea what gender they are, I've never been good at determining the sex of silkies.
    This is Gladdy...
    [​IMG]

I tried to take a picture of her (or maybe his) crest, that's the best I can do.

[​IMG]

This is Arwen...
    [​IMG]

Once again attempted picture of crest...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Behavior wise,
    Gladdy (Buff) is much more friendly and tolerant to me holding her (or him).
    Arwen (Black) is more wary of me, and makes a much deeper clucking sound than what Gladdy makes. Arwen also tends to do this weird ducking down shuffling movement whenever I make any sudden moves, if that means anything [​IMG]

Any Ideas?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If I had to GUESS just by appearance, I'd say the buff is male and the black female. But that is just a bias based on crest appearance, because I don't see any actual streamers or anything. How about their legs? Are the feet/legs abou the same size/thickness, or does one stand out as being larger/thicker than the other???
    Silkies are really hard to sex. I've only had one cockerel, and I could tell by the time he was 6-7 weeks...very thick ankles compared to the others. Plus he crowed (pitifully) around 10-11 weeks...

3. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    Hmmm... Well I just checked their legs and they seem about the same size (It's hard to tell when they're covered in fluff [​IMG]), if I had to say Gladdy's (Buff) looked slightly bigger than Arwen's (Black). I'm hoping to see some sign of gender soon...

I'm not sure if this matters, but Gladdy (Buff) has very dark brown tail feathers coming in, if that is any factor. You can kind of see it in her first picture.

4. teach1rusl

I think you're just going to have to wait this one out. I don't think either way about the darker feathers coming in. My red hen has darker feathers in her tail, so I'm sure buff do similarly...

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Buff im pretty sure is a male. Not sure on the other one, maybe a male.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you get comb shots please...i want to say the buff is a cockerel

7. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    ok, here are some comb shots....I apoligize, my camera does not take that good quality of pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've started to notice the feathers on the back of Arwen's (Black) neck are smooth, while Gladdy's(Buff) kind of stick out and look different. Any significance?
    Also, Arwen's overall head is more pom-pom-ish shaped.

8. teach1rusl

Really to get a comb shot (which I don't think would really help right now), you'd have to part or pull back the crest hair to really show us the comb, because all I'm seeing is crest hair and eyes...lol. Are these hatchery silkies? If so, the large vs. small crest may not necessarily be indicators. I have two hatchery silkies. One has a rounded crest, medium sized, while the other's crest isn't really domed (much poorer quality), and is small. Both are hens.
    Your buff looks boyish to me, but I still think your black is a pullet...
    If your silkies come from a breeder, I'd say for certain your buff is male.

9. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    Yes, they both come from a breeder.
    So I guess than that Gladdy is male. Well, at least I was able to find out what one of my silkies are, I will just have to wait the other one out. Though, Arwen is so much different than Gladdy, physically and behavior wise. So I agree with you that my Black one is a pullet (or at least I hope so, I didn't really want any cockerels).
    Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by