Silkie Cockerel becoming aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stacie23103, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Stacie23103

Stacie23103 New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    England
    I've recently started keeping some silkies, the first chickens I've ever kept (although my grandpa has always kept various ones over the years).

I bred three chicks, from a cockerel I had bought, I hatched them in an incubator and hand raised these. They have always been tame, letting me stroke them and pick them up with minimum fuss, and when they grew up I put them in an outdoor run opposite another run with five other silkies in (I couldn't put them together because they all fought. Two of the three were cockerels, so I got rid of one of them, wanting to keep the other to breed.

The one I kept was crowing at all hours, from 5am to later in the afternoon, so I was forced to take him to my grandparents house. We put him in an inside run (that was all he had at the time) with a different silkie hen and they got along fine after a bit of fuss. Anytime I go in the shed now, however, he goes crazy, puffing up his chest, running up and down the run and lowering his wing when he does so, like they do when they tread a hen. When I put my hand in the run to get some eggs out, he charged and pecked my hand, drawing blood, as he has also done with my grandpa. I'm wondering if anyone knows why he is acting this way, if it is normal behaviour or if anything can be done to stop it? He hatched at the end of August, so is about 5 months old now.

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    In my experience it's kind of luck of the draw. Some are aggressive some are sweet. My grandparents seemed to always have nasty roosters and you would need a stick to go in there. They left one outside the door for that reason. If you had the stick he would stay at bay. One day when I was like 12 I forgot it and he came charging after me. My grandfather still laughs when he tells the story of me running by the window yelling for him with the rooster hot on my heels.

3. Stacie23103

Stacie23103 New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    England
    Haha, that does sound like a funny story! It just seemed weird to me because in the span of two weeks he went from being loving and gentle to scarily aggressive, like a whole personality change. I did wonder if it could be because he went from being in a run outside to a slightly smaller one inside?

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Possibly. Maybe he feels he need to protect the smaller space more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by