Silkie Cockerel or Hen??

Chullicken

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Dorchester, NH
This rather pretty bird was left on my lawn a few days ago. With a lot of patience I managed to catch it tonight. Don't think its more than a few months old, but I don't own any Silkies and I have no idea if its a hen or rooster. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 24
That would appear to be a hatchery silkie cockerel. Silkies shouldn't have single combs like that one does, but that's not really uncommon for hatchery silkies.
Yeah I was curious why he didn't really look really poof like the ones I googled. Very comb temperament though and he did a crow today..sounded like a Model T Ford horn. When my other rooster crowed this morning. Hope he stays fairly quiet, my go to adoption farm is full at the moment so I may have him awhile. Just don't want him to be stew. Thanks for the reply!

Yes, he's a cockerel. The sad thing is that people just dump them like that. Not all are lucky enough to find someone kind hearted like you.
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. Veteran with PTSD so I find some solace in my fowl friends and constantly updated and/or building them new homes. My go to rooster adopters all seem to be having bad hatch rates this year and are over loaded with roosters unfortunately. Guess I'll be having this guy around for awhile it looks like. Started him on a vitamin boost and a dewormer while he's in quarantine. Only fowl I know so far that doesn't like lettuce, handfuls of grass, bread and birdseed..

Yes, that is a handsome cockerel. :)

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. Veteran with PTSD so I find some solace in my fowl friends and constantly updated and/or building them new homes. My go to rooster adopters all seem to be having bad hatch rates this year and are over loaded with roosters unfortunately. Guess I'll be having this guy around for awhile it looks like. Started him on a vitamin boost and a dewormer while he's in quarantine. Only fowl I know so far that doesn't like lettuce, handfuls of grass, bread and birdseed..

Thank you for your service. God bless. And thank you for taking in this handsome cockerel. There should be more folks like you that realize animals left like that have hearts and souls too. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and getting him all fixed up.
:thumbsup Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
-Angry Hen

Yes, that is a handsome cockerel. :)

Thank you for your service. God bless. And thank you for taking in this handsome cockerel. There should be more folks like you that realize animals left like that have hearts and souls too. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and getting him all fixed up.
:thumbsup Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
-Angry Hen
I was 'told' by my neighbors, i.e. parents next door who I rent from. If he's quiet enough, he can stay. So far in a week he's only crowed once and it was maybe a second. Not sure how he'll do once he's around other birds, right now he's in a large dog crate inside my barn house. Looks good, loves when my pet hen comes to see him a few times a week when I let her out to follow me around. He really perks up. Think I found a home for him though..probably would be for the best. Nice young flock of Silkies. Apparently the current rooster died recently of old age.

Back
Top Bottom