Silkie cockerels - northeastern MA

keesmom

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
My son and I found 3 dumped silkie cockerels yesterday. We couldn't leave them to be eaten by the local wildlife so we brought them home. At first I thought they were black, but they look like they are more of a dark blue.

They are well behaved, as we were able to walk up to them, pick them up and stuff them in boxes for the ride home. No signs of external parasites, and they appear to be well cared for aside from being dumped in a field. They do not look like average hatchery silkies, though one does have the wrong comb type. If we didn't have a Chantecler rooster we like, along with an oops cockerel in this year's batch of chicks, we would likely keep them. They do crow but it isn't an obnoxious screechy crow, it's fairly quiet compared to our big boy.

Willing to meet within a reasonable distance if you are interested in one of these boys.

20200803_140222.jpg

20200803_140220.jpg

keesmom

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
Isn't that always the case!

Figured we'd try to find them a home if possible. Honestly I don't object to someone putting them in the freezer as long as it's a quick, humane end. There's nothing humane about tossing some young males that can't see and can't fly out into an area full of predators, and ahead of a tropical storm.

Disecky

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2020
BerkshireCounty Western MA

Figured we'd try to find them a home if possible. Honestly I don't object to someone putting them in the freezer as long as it's a quick, humane end. There's nothing humane about tossing some young males that can't see and can't fly out into an area full of predators, and ahead of a tropical storm.
Oh aweful, hurts my heart

MysteryChicken

Free Ranging
May 31, 2018
East, Tawas Michigan

True. I wonder what went through that person's head when he dumped them?

Silkie meat is tasty. Had to do in a couple naughty silkie roosters a year apart, & they make good soup.

thumper650

Crowing
Mar 10, 2018
Maynard, MA

Thanks for taking them in. I saw three white geese in an industrial park in NH yesterday. I’m hoping they lived near by. They were gone after my delivery was done.

Top Bottom