Silkie color advice plz!! self blue/lav or Splash?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Teresaann24, May 7, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I got my shared order yesterday inside was to be 12 blue silkies 4 gray silkies 3 red silkies 6 self blue instead of sending all blue chicks they filled the blue order with some splash chicks. I got 4 self blue and 3 blue and 3 of what I thought were splash.

I just can't tell the self blue from the lavender chicks.

Here is the ones I think are the Lavender 4.
    [​IMG]

and here is the three I think are splash.
    [​IMG]

Am I right?

2. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Self blue is the same thing as lavendar...... The regular blue is andalusian. Totally separate genes and both can be present in the same bird. You won't know on them til they are older and feather out. Even them some splash are so washed out and some blues so light that they will look lav too. You have to do test breedings on those to really know what you have.

Just curious.... are they hatchery stock? Why is there no foot feathering? You should already be seeing feathers at least to the 3rd (middle) toe.

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Yes they are hatchery stock ordered from ideal. I only decided to take on hatchery stock lav's because I have really nice black silkie stock.

4. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    You're probably right, the lighter they are the more they are likely to be splash. So out of 12 blues you got 3 splash, no black?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by