1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie color?!?!?!? help!! lol

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken head34, Dec 25, 2010.

1. chicken head34

chicken head34 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    Hi![​IMG], okay well i have to silkies a partridge and a splash, they just started laying so i wanted to get them a roo![​IMG] okay so what colors will i get if i breed a splash to a white? and what colors for a partridge to a white???

2. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    When I breed my partridge to white, the chicks come out the exact replica in coloring of the partridge.... same placement of color and everything.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Breeding white to anything other than white is just going to give you mutt colors.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    White is an offswitch that hides whatever colour genes are genetically present in the bird. Since they are hidden, you have no idea what is present, but it will come out in breeding. No two whites should be expected to have the same genetic makeup, except for white.

5. chicken head34

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    okay thanx for the help...no white then.... so what color rooster would be good for a splash and a partridge hen??? maybe a blue????[​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For the splash, pair to a blue, black or splash; for the partridge, pair to a partridge.

7. chicken head34

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    thanx sonoran silkies![​IMG] the problem is i can only get one rooster:/....what would i get if i breed partridge to a blue?

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Would it be a blue or silver patridge? I am curious too. [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not silver unless the blue is silver, and even then it will not be pure on males. Blue + partridge = Blue partridge "in progress." Need a couple or so generations to get all the genes lined up right with a solid to partridge breeding.

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    oh ok thanks.
    I have 3 blue chicks and 2 partridge chicks that are Silkies.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by