Silkie color mystery

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Snozzle, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    The black one is obviously black, but the other 2 are what? Silver partridge maybe? I was told they are partridge and they had a lot of red on them as chicks, but now they are this silvery grey color and they have an interesting barred pattern on their wing feathers, is that normal in partridge or would that make them cuckoo? I put a pic of one on here from when I first got them and then some from today. I'm still pretty new to chickens and am clueless about their colors, any input would be very much appreciated.

Oh I forgot to mention, they are only 12 weeks old, so do they still change color later on maybe?

2 days old with still a lot of red
    [​IMG]

Pic from today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    They are gray. Very pretty!!

3. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    wow. I didn't know thay change colors like that! My grey one was born gray!

4. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Those are pretty. Where did you get them?

5. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    A lady gave them to me as a trade for a rabbit. She said her friend in Greenville breeds them. So I never actually got to talk to the breeder. Whatever they are, I love these silly fuzzies.

6. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010
    The chick is maybe a Partridge? We had one that looked similar as a chick and he was the oddest colored Silkie I ever had the pleasure of owning. There is a site, the link and name escapes me at the moment, that focuses on the color genetics of Silkies.

Silkies are a favorite here at my house. They will hatch anything (Oprah would fight the ducks to hatch their eggs for them.). They are friendly and oh so funny. My husband always had an audience that would move from barn to barn with him. You can not sit on the porch swing without a "lap warmer" or two. We bought a EE Bantom hen last year that had the skin from the top of her head torn off. She was healthy other then that, just some idiot put her in a cage at a sale with an overactive very large roo. We actually kept her in the house with a Silkie to keep her company, until she fully healed.

7. jsp28504

jsp28504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Clinton Ohio

Looks Like you have a partridge grey and black.

This Is a 2 month Old Partidge chick
    [​IMG]

4 month old Partridge Chick
    [​IMG]

1 month oldSilver Partidge

[​IMG]

8. jsp28504

jsp28504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Clinton Ohio
    1 month old Blue

[​IMG]

This is the begining of our chocolate silkies, hes got a chocolate look to him when you see him up close.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by