Silkie Color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BackyardDove, Dec 15, 2014.

1. BackyardDove

BackyardDove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    In the spring, I would like to start breeding my silkie chickens. They will officially be 7 months old on the 23rd and will be well old enough to start breeding by February or March. I have white, black, and buff silkies. Unfortunately I am not 100% sure on who's male and female yet since no eggs have been laid due to the cold, but that will be sorted out later. My question is about my rooster. I got him in my first batch of silkies over a year ago, and unfortunately he was the only one who survived to adulthood. I was told he was a blue partridge when he was a chick but clearly he is not. I plan to have him as my only rooster and breeding male since he's willing to protect any kind of bird(Even attacking me when I pick up chicks!), though he is a bit mean to the hens. However, it will be hard knowing what chicks he might produce if I don't even known his coloring. I know he's not up to showing standards, his comb is too big and he only has 4 toes -and that's just what I've noticed-, but I'm not breeding for show. I've looked at all the standard silkie colors and I can't find anything that looks even a little bit like him. He is my profile picture and I would greatly appreciate it if you can help me identify his color!

2. BackyardDove

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    I would really appreciate a response... anything...

3. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
  4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He looks like a silver partridge. I can't tell from the picture whether or not he is blue. Where did you get him? If he came from a breeder he could be the result of a mixed color pairing.

As for breeding him to white, there is no way to tell what colors you will get. It depends on what genes are hiding under that white. Breeding to black and buff will result in non-standard colors.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tara K

Tara K Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Salem MA
    Agreed, I can't see the profile pic, would be helpful if you posted a pic in the thread;)

6. BackyardDove

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    Oh, sorry! I thought you could make my profile picture bigger. Here's a bigger version of that picture. He's definitely not a blue silkie, he has too much white on him. He could very well be a silver partridge, but even then he'd have to be a silver partridge with more vibrant colors. I did get him from a breeder.

[​IMG]

7. Tara K

Jun 23, 2013
    Salem MA
    That's a silver partridge no where near a blue

8. Tara K

Jun 23, 2013
    Salem MA
    Here's a pic of a blue for comparison;) [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Silver Partridge to me, too.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Silver Partridge to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by