1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SILKIE coloring question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BellLisamo, Apr 26, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    to have brown feathers on the neck. I was given a young blue silkie and it has brown feathers coming in....... what happened?!?!!?!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    pet quality.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    How old?

Partridge males often get the colouring in their head, hackles, shoulders and saddles fairly late in development. So that is one possibility.

Sometimes blue sunburns to a bronzy blue.

Or as nzpouter said, pet quality

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Suze,

Weren't you saying something about red making the blue look 'blue-er' the other day, or am I mixing up conversations?

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think you're mixing up conversations, or rather who said what? Do you remember the thread?

Red does contrast nicely with blue, but shouldn't be on a blue chicken. On blue partridge it's very attractive, as it in on blue laced reds (think wyandotte, not silkie).

6. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:its about 3-4weeks.... young.... so far the brown is just on his hackles and shoulders.... ill try to get a picture later today

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    At 3-4 weeks, then I'd say his adult colour is still undetermined (although we can probably help ID it once you post photos), but it isn't blue, although blue may end up being a component.

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:well this is how i feel about it [​IMG]

i think i will rehome this baby. ill get pics by tonight!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Figure out what it is, first--then decide what you want to do. Where did you get the baby?

10. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:from a "breeder". But they are not SQ, obviously. I dont mind, but i dont like the light brown highlights on its neck. so odd. I also have a black rooster from her that has brown on its neck as well. I was wanting to know what she crossed to get that. Ill try to find a picture of him...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by