Silkie colors/genders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BusyBearMama, Apr 30, 2016.

1. BusyBearMama

BusyBearMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    New York State
    Last year we hatched one female blue silkie but she died :(
    So this year the kids asked for silkies and I figured well I would look around and I was going to see who had some- last year it was just about everyone had them but no one within 3 hours this year :(
    So I gave in and did the thing I said I wouldn't do and stopped in right before the end of tsc's chick days which I believe is today so they're just cleaning out their stock- the man joked I should take them all. They had a bin of hrir sr, Cornish x in 2 sizes, some khaki Campbell ducklings that were really small and I maybe should have grabbed some but I think I will wait and get the Peking ducks that my friend has... And they had a big ol bin of 'bantams' which clearly were all light -ish silkies. I grabbed 7 and left since it was like ten minutes from closing.
    They aren't black or blue and I am assuming the other options are a partiidge brown, gray, buff & white? Does anyone know what those colors typically look like as chicks? I have no experience with silkies and their colors and the kids are curious. I can't really gender check them now but what should I be on the look out for for each gender. I can't really keep more than one silkie rooster, i would be happy to have one but just one so the sooner I know the sooner I can find them homes. I will post photos of them soon.

2. BusyBearMama

Apr 25, 2014
    New York State
    My guesses are two are white, 3-5 are buff or 1-2 of them are gray or partridge. Does anyone know how tsc orders is it just mixed silkies and if so why were they all lights, was it just a picked over bin or do they think lighter colored chicks sell better or? Are they likely then all one color like buff or white or do I have a chance of there being more than one color. The chicks are different colors but it's subtle and they're so young.

3. BusyBearMama

Apr 25, 2014
    New York State
    [​IMG] this is what they put in the box... In the box... We really hope for at least one hen because I hear they're great incubators and I would LOVE to keep as many of these as we can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by